CryptoCollaboration Version 0.0.0.4 (New) Being Released
* THIS WILL BE RELEASED MARCH 26, 6:00 p.m. PST *
**For more information regarding this project, releases (both past and current), and screen-shot diaries of CryptoCollaboration in action, please visit:
Yeah I know, quick turn around considering the traditional life cycle regarding software revisions, but I have received some great feedback since the initial release, some of it enhancement requests similar to plans that I had in the beginning. As any developer knows when you get the request for something that you really were excited to write into the next revision, it is really encouraging to get those requests in, finish them, and get them tested by the greater community.Anyways, there have been some big changes in the software, some of it not noticeable however a lot of it is pretty easy to spot.
The largest changes you will see functionality are:
1) Support for File Encryption
Yup, I had the time to adjust the code in order to support this since it was the largest request. Now, as opposed to just encrypting native field data out of orthodox SharePoint lists, you can encrypt contents as they appear in documents. In the next revision, this will extended in order to encrypt attachments on list items once the file encryption methods have been tested enough so I am comfortable reusing said methods. This has been tested with standard text documents (those made out of NotePad), as well as Microsoft Word documents (which for the record was a pain in the ass). I haven’t really pushed the size limits on it, but it should support relatively large documents.
2) Code Cleanup
This was targeted to reduce the size of the shared sister assemblies in the overall deployment package. If you do a file comparison between the two, you will notice that the package is about half the size. I also used some Xenocode components in order to compress the shared sister assemblies which further reduced the size of the elements.
3) Encryption Performance
Some of the encryption routines had some new threading introduction in order to support faster operations on data. Although I was unable to get empirical, tangible metrics regarding the differences between the revisions however the performance is noticeable directly in within the interface so is comparable.
4) More Reliable Trimming Of Interface Elements
Per some feedback, there were some malformed elements being returned within the interface that is usually conditionally queried and displayed. These errors were corrected and now the interface should be relatively consistent as far as functionality-trimming is concerned. This should reduce the user confusion that might normally be experienced through the CryptoCollaboration operations interface.
5) Exception Handling Additions
I have made the initial changes in order to support more robust exception handling, however it is still somewhat lacking for what I normally endorse. There were some very specific exception handling classes developed, some as for validation of encryption keys and initialization vectors; however they are not 100% due to time constraints and priorities for the current revision. I still have to go through and add more exception handling to be 100%, which I might use log4net for, but I am leaning towards just writing a some simple custom classes for since the product is pretty specific in its purpose.