You may encounter this error when you are initially installing SharePoint 2013. I thought for a while it was because I was trying to install everything on a domain controller however it turned out this is not the case. The problem is that it will still look for a default port of 1433 even its a declaratively specified differernt port. In order to solve this error, do the following:
- Open Windows Firewall by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Security, and then clicking Windows Firewall.
- Click Allow a program through Windows Firewall. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Click Add port.
- In the Name box, type a name that will help you remember what the port is used for.
- Click UDP.
- In the Port number box, type the 1433.
- To change scope for the port, click Change scope, and then click the option that you want to use. (“Scope” refers to the set of computers that can use this port opening.)
- Click Ok.
- On the Start menu, click Run.
- In the Run dialog box, type cmd.
- From the command prompt, type net start sqlbrowser.
And, at the end of the day, consider that non-default ports will be supported at some point :p