Sharepoint 2013 Products Configuration Wizard Error : Failed to create sample data
I received this error earlier today, and having setup a gang of 2013 environments over the past couple months on the same hardware and software configuration so I have to believe it is sporadic. Seeing as my prescribed solution is a series of unrelated steps I have to assume that it’s just a random problem.
This error surfaces when you are running the Sharepoint 2013 Products and Technology Configuration Wizard and seems to occur right at step number 7. The exact error that I received was:
One or more configuration settings failed.
Failed to create sample data.
An exception of type System.NullReferenceException was thrown. Additional exception information: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
In the event log, the following error is thrown:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPEvaluatorModeProvisioner.IsProvisioned() at Microsoft.Office.Server.EvaluatorModeProvisioning.SharedEvaluatorModeProvisioner.IsProvisioned() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPEvaluatorModeProvisioner.Provision() at Microsoft.Office.Server.EvaluatorModeProvisioning.SharedEvaluatorModeProvisioner.Provision() at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.EvalModeProvisionTask.EvalProvision() at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.EvalModeProvisionTask.Run() at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()
Not going into what the stacktrace is telling us about the problem, let’s just scramble the solution together.
- Logon to the SharePoint Web Front End(s). The Web Front End procedures described here must be performed on every server that participates in the farm.
- To open Services, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Services.
- Find the AppFabric Caching Service. Right click the service and select Start.
- Logon to the SharePoint database server.
- On the Start menu, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (ot 2012), point to Configuration Tools, and then click SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- In SQL Server Configuration Manager, expand Services, and then click SQL Agent.
- In the results pane, right-click any instance, and then click Start.
- A green arrow on the icon next to the SQL Server Agent and on the toolbar indicates that SQL Server Agent started successfully.
- Click OK.
- Logon to the SharePoint Web Front End(s).
- On the SharePoint Web Front End(s), navigate to the following if SharePoint Server: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\15.0\Data\Office Server\
- If using SharePoint Foundation the path is : C:\Program Files\Windows SharePoint Services\15.0\Data\Analytics_GUID
- Locate the Analytics_GUID folder, ensure this is shared. If not share the folder with authenticated users.
- On the Start menu, click All Programs.
- Click Microsoft SharePoint 2013 Products.
- Click SharePoint 2013 Management Shell.
- Execute the following: psconfig.exe -cmd Configdb Create SkipRegisterAsDistributedCacheHost
That’s it! The error will be gone following.