I am currently in the middle of doing a hybrid setup cloud/on-premise setup for the lovely state of MN and I ran into an issue where a lot of the apps where greyed out. The process I used to build the farm appeared to be ok, I succeeded in completing an error free SharePoint Foundation installation installation and configuration. Following I setup several tenant site collections, configured the App management service blah, blah, blah. Everything looked hunky dory but the apps problem specified above kept happening. To replicate the error, simply attempt to add the app and the following error:
Sorry, this app is not supported on your server
will be returned.
This is a potentially unsolvable error due to limitations of Foundation so don’t go bang your head against the wall. To verify that you meet the requirements, follow these simple procedures:
- Leave this page open in the browser for the app dependency table located about half way through the article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/jj819804.aspx
- Find the app package, rename the .app file extension to .zip.
- Right click the .zip file and extract the contents.
- Open the AppManfiest.xml file in Notepad.
- Search for the AppPrerequisites tag.
- Using the table specified in Step 1, ensure that the prereqs meet the specs of the SharePoint instance you are working with.
In my case, I was working with a stripped down Foundation instance and wasn’t close to the prereqs.