ADFS Not Resolving Active Directory Security Groups In SharePoint
I ran into this issue really recently working at a client with a new, pretty basic ADFS environment that was acting as the identity provider, through an ADFS proxy server relay. I couldn’t wrap my head around why it wasn’t working, the groups themselves were resolving correctly, and even showing up in the identity data sources in the people picker. However, members of the AD securitygroup, (NOT the SharePoint group) were still being denied access to the SharePoint site.
To fix this issue follow these steps:
- Open the federation server box.
- Open the ADFS management console.
- Edit the claim rules for the relaying party trust
- Select the tab Issuance Transform Rules
- Edit the Send LDAP Attributes as Claims
- This should have:
- Claim Rule Name : Pass-through LDAP Claims
- Attribute Store : Active Directory
- Set: Token Groups unqualified names (Don’t Use: Token Groups – Qualified by domain name) | Outgoing ClaimType: Role
- Set: User-Principal-Name | Outgoing Claim Type : UPN
- Open the SharePoint management shell, run the following PowerShell script to create the issuer. If you have an issuer already made, remove it or execute the coordinating update commands. Make sure you replace the $certPath, $realm, and any of the string literals within $ap.
- $certPath = your certification path
- $cert = New-Object System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X509Certificate2("$certPath")
- $map1 = New-SPClaimTypeMapping "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2005/05/identity/claims/emailaddress" -IncomingClaimTypeDisplayName "EmailAddress" -SameAsIncoming
- $map2 = New-SPClaimTypeMapping "http://schemas.microsoft.com/ws/2008/06/identity/claims/windowsaccountname" -IncomingClaimTypeDisplayName "Login" â€“SameAsIncoming
- $map3 = New-SPClaimTypeMapping "http://schemas.microsoft.com/ws/2008/06/identity/claims/role" -IncomingClaimTypeDisplayName "Role" â€“SameAsIncoming
- $map4 = New-SPClaimTypeMapping "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2005/05/identity/claims/upn" -IncomingClaimTypeDisplayName "Account ID" â€“SameAsIncoming
- $realm = "urn:" + $env:ComputerName + ":adfs"
- $signinurl = "https://yoursigninurl"
- $ap = New-SPTrustedIdentityTokenIssuer -Name "ADFS" -Description ADFS 2.0 -Realm $realm -ImportTrustCertificate $cert -ClaimsMappings $map1, $map2, $map3, $map4 -SignInUrl $signinurl -IdentifierClaim $map1.InputClaimType
If you are curious about the way to update, rather than create a new issuer, you can use the following. In the above, you may or may not need all those assertion mappings depending on how your trusted relay issuance rule setup:
- $issuer = Get-SPTrustedIdentityTokenIssuer
- $map=New-SPClaimTypeMapping "http://schemas.microsoft.com/ws/2008/06/identity/claims/role" -IncomingClaimTypeDisplayName "Role" â€“SameAsIncoming
Now you HAVE to apply KB hotfix 2536591 located here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2536591/en-us
Boom! Groups will work.