Why Use User Profiles In SharePoint 2013
The fact that with SharePoint Sever 2013 the User Profile service offers a centralized location for service administrators to configure and administer features is very important to recognize. This includes:
- User Profiles The detailed information about people and an organization are found here. The user profile is responsible for organizing and displaying the properties that are specific to each user. There are also social tags, documents, and other related items for that user collected.
- Profile Synchronization This provides a reliable method for synchronizing the groups and users profile information that has been stored in the SharePoint Server 2013. The information is also stored in a directory service.
- Audience This allows an organization to target content for specific users based on the work or tasks that they perform. It is defined by their membership in the SharePoint Server group or distribution list. The organizational reporting and the public properties or their user profile also influence that user ability.
- My Site Host This is a dedicated site that enables hosting My Sites. It is necessary to deploy the social features that are offered by SharePoint Server.
- My Site This is a personal site that allows users of the organization to go to a central location. There they can store and manage data, links, information, and more about colleagues.
- Social Tags & Notes This allows uses to add social tags to documents to other items in the SharePoint Server. This also includes external web pages and blogs. The user can leave notes on profile pages of any My Site or SharePoint Sever page. Administrators have the ability to remove all tags that any employee has placed due to it not being wanted or the user is no longer with the organization.
All of these features allow the users within an organization to share information and to be informed about what is going on within the organization that pertains to their role. The use of social tags makes it possible for them to track the information that interests them the most. They can be alerted too when there are new blog posts or other data from certain people or when there is a change in the organization structure of the business.
All of the service applications found in SharePoint Server 2013 allow for the deletion of administration to a user profile service, and that includes the farm administration. This allows the User Profile service application to be successfully managed by the right group. There can be one administrator that manages all areas of the User Profile Service application or it can be isolated and broken down for several administrators to manage different pieces.
One scenario is to allow one administrator to manage My Sites and then another to manage social tags & notes. It is possible to restrict the User Profile service so that only selected departments or sets of sites can be accessed. This can be based on the needs of the business or security reasons.